The key to a balanced lifestyle is more than just nutritious food. At yesterday's event, Jillian Greaves RD, aka @preventionpantry, shared valuable tips on how inflammation impacts our health. She helped break down the research and explain why finding a balanced lifestlye should be a top priority.
Here are 5 of the tips Jillian shared to incorporate into your everyday routine:
1. Make a good night's sleep a priority. Not getting enough sleep is like not taking out the garbage.
2. Establish a relaxing evening routine and turn off your phone 30-60 minutes prior to bedtime, to wind down.
3. Limit refined carbohydrates. However, this does not mean limit carbohydrates! "Most carbohydrates should come from natural, minimally processed sources," she told us, "These give your body energy and keep your blood sugar stable."
4. Eat sweets mindfully. "You want to enjoy it when you actually want it...added sugars are in everything!" she said. Keep a close eye on yogurt, nut milk, granola bars and salad dressing labels for unnecessary sugars.
5. Improve your ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids. Fish like sockeye salmon, tahini, walnuts and olive oil are easy ways to increase your intake of omega 3 fatty acids.
6. Practice mindful eating. "Take a walk prior to meals and step away from the TV or computer to remove distractions at mealtime," she said.