Did you know #MeatlessMonday is more than just an Instagram hashtag? Hard to believe, but this "ditch the meat" day of the week, is actually a global movement encouraging people to go meatless since 2003! Even more shocking is that this effort is a revival that was first started in World War 1....dropping knowledge!! It's true.
Back then, they were trying to help reduce consumption to help the war effort, and today, we can reduce consumption to improve our own health, and the health of the planet! And the knowledge cherry on top is that Monday was not a random pick or something selected because of the alliteration (though we love a good alliteration). It was strategically picked because research suggests that people are more open trying healthy behaviors at the start of the week.
So with that, we kicked off our week and celebrated the apparently age-old tradition of #MeatlessMonday last week with @FoodbyMaria at Venue 66! Maria helped dispute any rumors that you can't still have the foods you crave on a plant-based diet. For example, you might think that spaghetti and MEATballs are sure to go by the wayside when ditching meat, but think again!
Maria taught us how to make vegan black bean "meatballs" that looked & tasted great. These were atop Cali'Flour Foods pasta and the Classic Spicy tomato sauce from Jar Goods. And guess what?! Everyone can order their own jars with 15% off using the code: HELLOWELLNESS
Check out Maria's recipe below, and add this to your dinner menu TONIGHT!
VEGAN BLACK BEAN MEATBALLS
1 cup oat flour, process rolled oats for 30 seconds in food processor
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats
1-400 mL cans of Eden Foods black beans, strained and drained
2 tbsp Eden Foods extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for cooking
1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup white onion, roughly chopped
2 tbsp flax seeds
1 1/2 tbsp thyme
1 1/2 tbsp oregano
Basil, for topping
Cali’flour Foods pasta
1 BOU Vegetable Flavored Bouillon Cube
Sauce of choice: pesto, spicy tomato, vodka
Recipe makes 12 vegan meatballs
- Pulse 1 cup of rolled oats in food processor until a flour forms.
- Add the remaining ingredients to processor and blend until well combined. It is done when there is no loose flour.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, roll into “meatballs.”
- In a large non-stick pan, heat olive oil for 1 minute. Add balls and cook for 1 minute per side.
- Cover with lid and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. “Meatballs” are done when they are hot and steaming when cut into.
- While the meatballs cook, bring a large pot of water and the BOU Bouillon Cube to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add in Cali’Flour Foods pasta. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain pasta. Serve with desired pasta sauce and top with meatballs.