We kicked off our first NYC event of the year with an expert-led panel featuring Abby Cannon, Nathalie Rhone and Sophia Ruan Gushée. They shared a wealth of knowledge on non toxic living — everything from how to shop for food to why recycling isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
Curious about how to detox your kitchen and home too? Shop our favorite products from the event here.
One of the main things we learned is that you can still lead a low waste lifestyle and live your normal life with gradual changes. Here are a few takeaways we’re trying to implement:
- Buy lots of fruits and veggies. Look at the nutrition labels on your favorite foods—if you can’t pronounce the ingredient then you should avoid it!
- Opt for detoxifying veggies like brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale and bok choy in your meals. Use spices for cooking - turmeric is great for inflammation!
- Try to have a green juice every morning. Nathalie’s favorite juice is with celery, cilantro, lemon, ginger and turmeric.
- Sleep is a huge way to detox. It’s so important for physiological functions. Turn off whatever technology is in the bedroom to avoid any electromagnetic fields that are emitted!
- Get moving. Even the simplest form of exercise like walking the dog can be beneficial.
- Keep your home clean. You space should be healing, so don’t make it a place of stress!
- Spend time in an infrared sauna. It’s helpful for healing a number of health-related issues from chemo to Lyme disease.