We were joined by Samah Dada of @dadaeats for a baking demonstration and class. Samah taught us how to bake her famous chocolate chip tahini cake and while the cakes were baking, we participated in a Q&A.
We learned how Samah balanced a full time job at the TODAY Show while building her amazing brand, and how she eventually allowed the two to collide. Samah is a perfect example of how you can have your cake AND eat it too!
CHOCOLATE CHIP TAHINI CAKE
3/4 cup tahini
2 eggs (For vegan option, use 2 flax eggs. Combine 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp warm water and set aside to thicken.)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup chocolate chips and more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8- by 8-inch pan with parchment paper with flaps so you will be able to easily lift it out of the pan after baking.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and tahini until smooth. Stir in coconut sugar and mix until it is thoroughly incorporated. Pour almond milk into the tahini mixture, and then add vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour and baking soda.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients (the batter should be thick and sticky). Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and add more chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool before frosting.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE FROSTING
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup creamy almond butter
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (add more milk to thin or more almond butter to thicken
2 tbsp maple syrup
In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa powder and almond butter. Add in the almond milk and stir to combine. Lastly, stir in maple syrup and mix until thoroughly combined and smooth.
Thank you to the Institute of Culinary Education in NYC for hosting our class. You can learn more about the cooking classes they offer here.